Friday, March 27, 2015

Filming Day 3: The Adventures of Christina and Laura

  The following day, Christina and I went to the beach with a speaker to capture people just having fun dancing. We had hoped to motivate a crowd of people to just dance.  After getting lost several times, we finally made it to what the GPS had pinned as the beach. We didn't recognize absolutely any of our surroundings, and when I looked up I saw maybe 10 police cars scattered around the street. It's important to note that Christina was the one giving me directions. Anyways, I kept going hoping to find the beach, but ended up reaching a gated port guarded by policemen. We had hit a dead end and the only way out was by talking to the cops. So after being scolded by a police officer and her threatening to take my license away, we were able to turn around where we met up with another kind officer who gave me directions to the beach.

 Finally, after an hour of driving, we finally made it to the beach.  It didn't really strike us of how difficult this task was going to be until we got out of the car and stepped on to the sand. I told Christina that we had to let go of all our shame and just suck it up. We blasted some Brazilian Caribbean music and just started looking for people.

 We wanted to film all kinds of people, big people, little people, old people and young people.  We first stopped these two old ladies who seemed classy, but not fancy enough not to dance. After giving them a warming speech about how we wanted to film for our project, they responded "We speak french" in French. Of course being the President of French Honor Society and having reached AP French, I thought I had this in the bag. But as soon as I opened my mouth, nothing came out. And after two minutes of struggling and spitting out random words in French, the ladies turned to me and said "Yeah, you don't speak French." and walked away. Embarrassing, yes, but that didn't stop Christina and I from trying.

We kept trying and were lucky enough to film some girls dancing, but 20 minutes into our adventure, the speaker died. Much rejection followed after these 20 minutes. I don't know if people were just too embarrassed to dance or if they were scared of two motivated girls and a speaker. Needless to say, we were able to get some footage, but not the footage we hoped. This is a day I will never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment